Thursday, December 7, 2006

Owensboro

If you hate your job... Quit.
If your friends suck... Stop calling them.
If you think then town you live in is holding you down... Move.
Did your God fail you? Find a new religion.
Tired of the dating mess... Go on hiatus (or get married).
Feel like you don't have enough education to succeed? Go back to school.
Broke? Get a second/third job.
Do you feel like your government has it all wrong? Vote.

If something is bothering you, do something about it. But writing a song that deliberately chastises and degrades a community that struggles to survive just as hard as anywhere else in this world is unfair... and for profit? To promote a rag tag label? Merchant indeed! You make me sick.

4 comments:

100YearsOfTrash said...

with a shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather.

Kevin Brown said...

I originally felt like this post was a little harsh which is why I didn't post it initially, then I went back and reread the lyric to "Owensboro" and now I feel like I went a little light on her. With all of it's faults, Owensboro is still the town that nurtured me as a boy. I have good friend in the city and it's surroundings. Natalie Merchant probably worked there (if she ever really did) for a couple of months and moved on to Europe and New York etc... Now after years of fame and fortune, she feels some entitlement to bag my hometown? She can bite me.

Kevin Brown said...

friends.... these things need spell check, when I get fired up I tend to mistype easy words.

Anonymous said...

Rock on; rock out, as long as you rock then keep telling the story!