Thursday, January 4, 2007

Honky Tonk

"A honky tonk is a type of bar with musical entertainment common in the Southwestern and Southern United States, also called honkatonks, honkey-tonks, tonks or tunks. The term has also been attached to various styles of 20th-century American music. As of 2006, honky tonk seems to be the most recognized and mainstream subgenre of country music." ~Wikipedia.com

But as I stumbled into a bar bathroom somewhere in the middle of Nashville TN, a cowboy (I knew he was a cowboy because he donned a 10 gallon hat and authentic cowboy boots) looked at me and asked, "You been out honky tonkin'?"

"Uh... what's that?"


"Drinkin'... lookin' for women, I guess. C'mon, man! Honky Tonkin'!"

I lit a cigarette (you can still smoke in bars there) and said, "I'm going to guess no... but to be honest I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about." In the back of my mind I made a mental note and thought, I'm gon'na google that shit later.

No comments: