Friday, February 16, 2007

MMW

We waited almost all day in the pit, in the dirt, in a true Bonnaroo haze so that we could be as close as possible to the stage for Medeski, Martin and Wood. The first song hadn't ended before the ladies split. Jack and Justin and I stood three rows deep through the entire first set - but to tell the truth I felt as if I were being tortured. I felt like I was truly in hell (Or at the very least on the circumference of hell). The air was hot and thick. Pawns for the devil swayed in a demonic trance all about as far as I could see. I was lost - and I knew I needed to get out. To get air. To find God. The set ended and I turned to split, when I realized there were some 10,000 souls packed together behind me. A goblin attempted to persuade me into staying, "Where are you going? There's no way out." I kicked and scratched and clawed my way out to discover that I was more lost than I had ever in my Life realized. The ladies long gone. The guys had my backpack with my money and essentials. I walked through a field staring up at oversized heads on sticks. I saw the angels sitting in a tent of light. They didn't speak much. Mostly, they just sat and waited and meditated in the buzz of electric white lights. I could see deep inside strangers chests where skeletons and bears danced and laughed together and generally ignored this chaotic farm somewhere deep in rural Tennessee. In the distance I heard Pink Floyd (in actuality it was The Flaming Lips covering Dark Side of the Moon). I sat in a puddle of mud to listen as one by one, my friends walked out of the darkness smiling...

Tickets for the Medeski, Martin and Wood acoustic set at the Birchmere (April 29) go on sale Friday, February 16th.

5 comments:

Sublimebabie said...

This story reminds me of the one about the people and the garage behind 1010 St. Paul St.

Kevin Brown said...

Remind me of that story... (in an email if necessary) Was I there?

Sublimebabie said...

I don't really remember what it was about... just a story you wrote when you lived there.. kinda dark. MMW.. good stuff tho. :)

Kevin Brown said...

Oh, right! I completely forgot about that series of stories. Do you remember the one about 80 year old ex-hooker that killed her pimp and jumped off the 11th floor balcony?

Now I need to go find those stories.

Kevin Brown said...

Now I remember the story - it was called Car Wash - about the old man and the dog who lived in the alley and got mixed up in a drug deal gone wrong...

blam! blam! blam! the old yellow dog with three legs sniffed the neighbors garbage. the electric light by my window blinked on.

something like that.